Saturday, February 13, 2010

Drowning Friend


As my ski trip is coming to an end, a brief chance to reflect on the highlights has occurred. By far the best thing to come out of this trip is the rekindling of two very important friendships.

You often here of the unbreakable bonds formed by men in war. How war veterans religiously make reunions to share stories and remember fallen comrades. There is something about extremely stressful situations that acts a catalyst to both create enemies and forge phenomenal friendships. My years kayaking were very similar. Of my best friends, the people I could call in the middle of the night, who would answer my plead for help without asking; most are kayaking buddies. Anyone who has kayaked long enough has had an experience where either you or a paddling mate's life was in eminent danger. What happens next, is what forms the unbreakable bonds to which I allude. The efforts I've seen to rescue a fellow paddle are nothing short of extraordinary . Certainly no less heroic than the Marine who carries a wounded buddy through enemy fire to safety.



I had the great privilege to ski with a couple guys who relied on me to protect their life while boating together and more than once my life was in their hands. Even though I haven't kayaked seriously in over a decade, that kind of bond does not erode with time. I am lucky to have this depth or relationship with these guys and so thankful to spend some quality time with them.

Just know that if my phone rings and you need me, I'm there. No questions asked or explanations needed.

1 comment: